School age stage
5 years and above
At around five years old you can expect your child to be able to do the following:
- Can balance and stand on one foot for about 10 seconds
- Swings and climbs
- Slides down a slide
- Can now get dressed and undressed by self
- Speech is very clear
- Knows name, address and age
- Likes listening and telling stories
- May have best friend
- Sense of humour increasing
- Uses more imagination
- Shows more independence
If you’re noticing something or have concerns
This timeline provides general guidance on what to expect. Do not worry if your child is not meeting all milestones for their age range. It is normal for one area to develop quicker than another.
If your child was born early or was unwell as a baby, then you might want to look at a younger age range.
If you worried about your child’s progress against the milestones, use our guide to see how you can help your child.